Grosvenor House is a hotel in the Mayfair area of London. The hotel is owned by the Sahara Group.
Grosvenor House was the first hotel in London at that time to have a separate bathroom and entrance lobby for each bedroom, and running iced water in every bathroom. When the hotel first opened it was also the headquarters of the International Sportsmenâs Club. Its facilities included Turkish baths, a swimming pool, squash courts and a gymnasium.
The hotel has a pedestrian entrance on Park Lane in Mayfair but this is not the 'main/courtyard' entrance which is actually on Park Street. The official address of the hotel is 86-90 Park Lane. It is an outpost of London's largest cluster of luxury hotels, which is centered on Hyde Park Corner.
The Great Room (which is a separate room to the Ballroom) at the Grosvenor House is the venue of many prominent awards evenings, charity balls and the like and is often seen on British television. Since the 1930s, the Great Room has hosted the world's oldest charitable ball, the Royal Caledonian Ball, and it is one of the largest ballrooms in Europe, with a maximum capacity of 2,000 seated (200 10-person tables) or 1,100 theatre style.
Although now not used as such, the Great Room was originally built as an ice-rink and much of the machinery lies dormant under the current flooring. In 1933, Princess Elizabeth, the future Queen Elizabeth II, learnt to skate at the hotel at just seven years of age. Sonja Henie, Cecilia Colledge, and other famous skaters frequently displayed their skill. International ice hockey matches were played there, and the newly formed Grosvenor House Canadian hockey team, recruited from Canadians living in London, played the Queen's Ice Hockey Club on the rink, the first of a series of matches against teams from the United Kingdom and the Continent. Anticipating competition from other ice rinks, in 1935 the rink was converted into a banquet hall measuring 1,902 square metres (20,454 square feet). It has hosted parties, galas, awards ceremonies, dinners and balls to mark most significant national events and celebrations.
The Grosvenor House Hotel was built in the 1920s and opened in 1929 on the site of Grosvenor House, the former London residence of the Dukes of Westminster, whose family name is Grosvenor. The hotel owed its existence to Albert Octavius Edwards who conceived and built it, then presided over it as chairman for 10 years. Key to the story of the hotel was A.H. Jones, who had worked for Edwards in Doncaster. In January 1929, six months after the completion of the first block of apartments, and six months before completion of the hotel, Edwards brought Jones to Grosvenor House as accountant. In 1936, at the age of 29, Jones became general manager of Grosvenor House. Apart from the war years, when he served with the Royal Artillery and later in the NAAFI, Jones held this position until he retired in 1965.
The hotel was not finally completed until the 1950s because Baron Bruno SchrÃ¶der, who had acquired the lease of 35 Park Street in about 1910, had refused to give it up to Edwards. SchrÃ¶der remained in the house until his death in 1943, and permission to demolish the house was finally given in 1956. The house was replaced with a 92-bedroom extension which was officially opened in 1957 by the Chancellor of the Exchequer Peter Thorneycroft.
Grosvenor House managed to have a âgoodâ World War II. Ten thousand sandbags and five miles of blackout material protected the building, and its entertaining space was used in the war effort. The Great Room initially became home to the Officersâ Sunday Club and then, in 1943, to the US officersâ mess. Generals Dwight D. Eisenhower and George S. Patton were regular visitors.
It underwent a four-year renovation and restoration costing Â£142 million, and reopened in 2008. This included a full refurbishment of all restaurants, guest rooms, health facilities, and public areas. The Great Room, Ballroom, Court Suite, restaurants, bars, meeting spaces and 494 guest rooms can accommodate a total of over 6000 people.
The Grosvenor House Hotel is managed by Marriott International. In 2010, the Sahara India Pariwar purchased the hotel from Royal Bank of Scotland for Â£470 million.
Richard Corrigan rents space within the hotel and runs the restaurant Corrigan's Mayfair.
- Official website