0




Kadokawa Pictures (è§'川映ç"», Kadokawa Eiga), formerly Kadokawa Pictures Inc. (è§'川映ç"»æ ªå¼ä¼šç¤¾, Kadokawa Eiga Kabushiki-gaisha) is the film division of Japanese company Kadokawa Corporation.

History



In 1945, Genyoshi Kadokawa established Kadokawa Shoten Publishing Co., focusing on the publishing business.

In 1975, Kadokawa's president, Haruki Kadokawa decided to venture into the film business, launching the film division of Kadokawa Shoten, Kadokawa Pictures was born. His goal was to try to reap synergy benefits by creating film adaptations of the publishing house's most popular books and marketing them simultaneously. The company's first film was the 1976 release The Inugamis, directed by Kon Ichikawa and adopted from a Kadokawa Shoten published novel written by Seishi Yokomizo. Due to an aggressive marketing campaign, the film ended as the second-largest earner of the year in Japan.

Between 1976 and 1993, Kadokawa produced close to 60 films. The company's pictures were usually large-scale epics with sizable budgets and matching advertising campaigns, aimed for mass audiences and box-office success. While critics weren't always kind on Kadokawa's works, the films were consistently popular among the viewing public. By 1992, 7 out of top 20 all-time highest box-office grossing Japanese films were Kadokawa's productions. During his time at Kadokawa Shoten, Haruki Kadokawa was often hailed as the savior of Japan's struggling film industry. Kadokawa's efforts to branch into foreign markets were consistently less successful. Its biggest failure came in 1992 when the 25 million US$ film Ruby Cairo starring Andie MacDowell failed to find a distributor in the United States. Haruki Kadokawa was forced to resign from Kadokawa Shoten after being arrested for smuggling cocaine. The new president was Haruki's younger brother Tsuguhiko, who had previously been forced out of the company in favor of Haruki's son Taro.

Kadokawa Shoten later acquired Daiei Film Co. from Tokuma Shoten following the passing of its president, Yasuyoshi Tokuma. In November 2002, Chairman Maihiko Kadokawa announced that Daiei Film Co. would merge with the company’s own film division to form Kadokawa-Daiei Film Co. Ltd.

In March 2004, Kadokawa-Daiei Pictures Inc. acquired a 44% stake in Nippon Herald Films Inc., a independent film distributor founded in 1956, and acquired the remaining 56% stake the following year. It later changed its name to Kadokawa Pictures.

On March 1, 2006, it merged with the Kadokawa Herald to become Kadokawa Herald Pictures Inc. and later Kadokawa Pictures. In 2007, it changed its name to Kadokawa Shoten Pictures, with Shinichiro Inoue as its President and CEO.

After a merger with Kadokawa Shoten Publishing Co. in 2011, it becomes the studio division of its parent company, Kadokawa Group Holdings Ltd and maintains its name, Kadokawa Pictures, focusing on mixed-media business.

Kadokawa Daiei Studio


Kadokawa Pictures

Kadokawa Daiei Studio Co., Ltd. (株式会社è§'川大映スタジオ, Kabushiki-gaisha Kadokawa Daiei Sutajio) is a Japanese movie studio and a subsidiary of Kadokawa Corporation. On April 1, 2013, Kadokawa Shoten Publishing split the studio business and established the Kadokawa Daiei Studio.

Gamera Films


Kadokawa Pictures

After the friendly acquisition in 2004, Kadokawa Pictures quickly went to work on several projects. It approached Toho Company Ltd. about co-producing Godzilla vs. Gamera, but the offer was rejected, so it turned its attention to reviving some of the combined studio’s best known properties since Daiei Film Co. era. In 2005 saw successful releases for both Masaaki Tezuka’s Samurai Commando: Mission 1,549 (Sengoku Jieitai 1,549) and Takashi Miike’s The Great Yokai War (Yokai Daisenso). As these two films opened in Japan, it revealed that the studio would begin shooting the twelfth Gamera film in July 2005.

Five of their Gamera films were mocked (twice) on Mystery Science Theater 3000. According to Shout! Factory, because of this, they were horrified by the mockery and refused to let Shout release the MST3K versions on home video. Brian Ward (one of the members of Shout) even stated in his own words that "The Japanese just aren't into their man-in-suit flicks being parodied or mocked in any way." However, thanks to Kadokawa selling the rights to a U.S. company (also according to Brian Ward), all the five episodes were released by Shout! Factory on August 2, 2011.

References


Kadokawa Pictures

External links



  • Company Web Site (Japanese)
  • Kadokawa Pictures at the Internet Movie Database
  • Kadokawa Anime Channel at YouTube


Post a Comment

 
Top