Mandate Pictures was a full-service film production and financing company acquired by Lionsgate in 2007.
In 2005, Mandate Pictures was officially formed when the Los Angelesâ"based Senator International completed a management buyout from German indie giant Senator Entertainment AG. Joe Drake, Brian Goldsmith and Nathan Kahane became the sole proprietors of Mandate Pictures. At the time, the company was helmed by President Joe Drake, chief financial officer Brian Goldsmith, and Nathan Kahane as the company's President of Motion Pictures, overseeing the daily creative operations of the new company. Mandate Pictures has independently produced and financed feature films by leveraging international sales, while seeking out domestic distributors on a film by film basis.
On September 10, 2007, the partners sold Mandate Pictures to Lionsgate, and as part of that deal Kahane stayed on as President of Mandate Pictures while Mandate CEO Joe Drake became President of the Motion Picture Group and Co-Chief Operating Officer at Lionsgate. After the acquisition, Mandate operated as an independent brand under Drake and Kahane, releasing commercial and independent films worldwide while retaining the creative autonomy and capital to finance, develop, package and produce theatrical films.
In the spring of 2012, Drake and Kahane launched Good Universe, a new full-service motion picture financing, production and global sales company. The launch comes as the collaborators transition out of Lionsgate, opening its doors fully staffed and with films from the development slate at predecessor company Mandate Pictures. Good Universe will work with Lionsgate to complete a number of Mandate films and provide certain management and production services on a number of Mandate library properties.
- Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle (2004) (released by New Line Cinema)
- Lords of Dogtown (2005) (released by Columbia Pictures and TriStar Pictures)
- Stranger than Fiction (2006) (released by Columbia Pictures)
- Juno (2007) (released by Fox Searchlight Pictures)
- Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium (2007) (released by 20th Century Fox and Walden Media)
- Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay (2008) (released by New Line Cinema)
- The Strangers (2008) (released by Rogue Pictures and Intrepid Pictures)
- Passengers (2008) (released by TriStar Pictures)
- Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (2008) (released by Columbia Pictures and Screen Gems)
- Horsemen (2009) (released by Lionsgate and Radar Pictures)
- Whip It (2009) (released by Fox Searchlight Pictures)
- Peacock (2010)
- The Switch (2010) (released by Miramax Films)
- 50/50 (2011) (released by Summit Entertainment)
- A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas (2011) (released by Warner Bros. and New Line Cinema)
- Young Adult (2011) (released by Paramount Pictures)
- LOL (2012) (released by Lionsgate)
- Seeking A Friend for the End of the World (2012) (released by Focus Features and Indian Paintbrush)
- Hope Springs (2012) (co-released by Columbia Pictures and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures)
- This Is the End (2013) (released by Columbia Pictures)
- Paradise (2013) (released by Image Entertainment)
- Harold and Kumar: Last Day of School (produced by Warner Bros. Television)
- Mandate Pictures at IMDB