The Zero Years is a 2005 Greek underground drama film directed by Nikos Nikolaidis, his final film.
A tale of perversion and sexual dominance set in a dystopia, the film is about four female prostitutes, all of whom were sterilized, engaging in sadomasochism with johns.
The film's art director, Marie-Louise Bartholomew, won the Best Production Designer Award at the Thessaloniki International Film Festival's Greek State Film Awards in November 2005. In addition, the film was officially selected for screening at the Chicago International Film Festival in October 2005 and in October 2006 where, during both times, it was nominated for the Gold Hugo.
Professor Vrasidas Karalis, and expert on Greek cinema and the author of A History of Greek Cinema, described in this book the film as "highly personal" and "hermetic." Derek Elley of Variety argued that the film, despite "excesses," has a "strain of irony" that remains constant and that it has an "off-center, ironic flavor." Karalis argued that it was derivative of Nikolaidis' earlier films and that it "confirmed the fossilization of a visual style which had transformed itself into a self-conscious manneristic extravaganza."
Karalis compared the film to Luis BuÃ±uel's 1967 Belle de Jour and Pier Paolo Pasolini's 1975 SalÃ², or the 120 Days of Sodom. In November 2005, after the film's completion, due to the fact that it failed to replicate the earlier success of Singapore Sling (1990), Nikolaidis declared his intention to stop making movies in order to deal with music.
One Italian critic had the following to say about this film:
- Vicky Harris as Prostitute Vicky
- Jenny Kitselli as Leader
- Arhontisa Mavrakaki as Maro
- Eftyhia Yakoumi as Christina
- Michele Valley as Supervisor
- Alkis Panagiotidis
- Yiorgos Mihalakis
- Maria Margeti
- Nikos Moustakas
- Angeliki Aristomenopoulou
- Dorothea Iatrou
- Anastasia Iatrou
- Nefeli Efstathiadi
- Christos Houliaras
- Themis Katz
- Natasa Kapsabeli
- The Zero Years at Nikos Nikolaidis (Film Director/Writer/Producer): ÎÎ¹kos Nikolaidis (1939â"2007), Films
- The Zero Years at the Internet Movie Database
- The Zero Years at the Greek Film Center: English, Films
- The Zero Years at 5 Books, 6 Films, and... Nikos Nikolaidis: Films
- The Zero Years at Rotten Tomatoes
- The Zero Years at AllMovie
- The Zero Years at The New York Times Movies