Witless Protection is a 2008 comedy film from Lionsgate, starring Daniel Lawrence Whitney, better known as Larry the Cable Guy and Jenny McCarthy written and directed by Chicago native Charles Robert Carner. Whitney plays Larry Stalder, a small-town deputy in Mississippi. Many parts of the film were filmed in Plano, Illinois and Virgil, Illinois (train depot, farms, gas station and a few downtown restaurants). Filming also took place in numerous towns in Illinois including Elmhurst, Lombard, Lemont, Sugar Grove, Glen Ellyn, Vernon Hills, Westmont and Yorkville. The film was released in theatres on February 22, 2008 and was released for DVD on June 10, 2008.
The story centers on a small-town sheriff who witnesses what he believes is a kidnapping and rushes to rescue a woman. The kidnappers turn out to be FBI agents assigned to protect her and deliver her to a big Enron-type corruption trial in Chicago but are later found to be on the take and are villains who are bent on killing her.
- Daniel Lawrence Whitney (Larry the Cable Guy) as Deputy Larry Stalder
- Jenny McCarthy as Connie
- Joe Mantegna as Dr. Rondog "Doc" Savage
- Yaphet Kotto as Ricardo Bodi (alias Alonzo Mosley)
- Ivana MiliÄeviÄ as Madeleine
- Richard Bull as Sheriff Smoot
- Eric Roberts as Wilford Duvall
- Peter Stormare as Arthur Grimsley
- J David Moeller as Elmer
- Sean Bridgers as Norm
This film received near unanimously negative reviews from critics. As of December 19, 2010, the review website Rotten Tomatoes reported that 3% of critics gave the film positive reviews, based on 29 reviews. Metacritic reported the film had an average score of 17 out of 100, based on 6 reviews.
Witless Protection was nominated for three Golden Raspberry Awards: Worst Actor for Larry the Cable Guy (who lost to Mike Myers for The Love Guru), Worst Supporting Actress for Jenny McCarthy (who lost to Paris Hilton for Repo! The Genetic Opera) and Worst Screen Couple for Larry the Cable Guy and Jenny McCarthy (they lost to Paris Hilton and either Christine Lakin or Joel David Moore for The Hottie and the Nottie).
- Official minisite
- Witless Protection at the Internet Movie Database
- Witless Protection at Rotten Tomatoes
- Witless Protection at Metacritic
- Witless Protection at Box Office Mojo
- Witless Protection at AllMovie